Mayor of London Sadiq Khan Calls the London Bridge Attackers 'Cowardly terrorists.
June 26, 2017
Latest Headlines:   _

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan Calls the London Bridge Attackers 'Cowardly terrorists.

0
Sunday June 04, 2017 - 13:07:12 in by Samiir Cabdi
  • (Rating 0.0/5 Stars) Total Votes: 0
  • 0 0
  • Share via Social Media

    Mayor of London Sadiq Khan Calls the London Bridge Attackers 'Cowardly terrorists.

    Mayor of London Sadiq Khan Calls the London Bridge Attackers 'Cowardly terrorists.

    Share on Twitter Share on facebook Share on Digg Share on Stumbleupon Share on Delicious Share on Google Plus

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan Calls the London Bridge Attackers 'Cowardly terrorists.

Suspected militants drove a van into pedestrians at high speed on London Bridge on Saturday night before stabbing revelers on nearby streets, killing at least six people and wounding nearly 50.

Armed police rushed to the scene and within eight minutes of receiving the first emergency call had shot dead the three male attackers in the Borough Market area near the bridge.

The attacks came just five days ahead of a parliamentary election on Thursday. The ruling Conservative Party suspended national campaigning on Sunday, a spokesman for Prime Minister Theresa May said.

"Following updates from police and security officials, I can confirm that the terrible incident in London is being treated as a potential act of terrorism," May said in a statement as events unfolded.

The assault occurred less than two weeks after a suicide bomber killed 22 people at a pop concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande in Manchester in northern England, and in March a man killed five people after driving into a crowd of pedestrians on Westminster Bridge in central London.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the latest attack.

"Sadly, six people have died in addition to the three attackers shot by police," Mark Rowley, Britain's top anti-terrorism officer, said. The three attackers had been wearing what looked like explosive vests that were later found to have been hoaxes.

The BBC showed a photograph of two possible attackers shot by police, one of whom had canisters strapped to his body. Hours after the attack the area remained sealed off and patrolled by armed police and counter-terrorism officers.

The London Ambulance Service said 48 people had been taken to five hospitals across the city and a number of others had been treated at the scene for minor injuries.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said some of those who had been injured were in a critical condition.

Khan said the official threat level in Britain remained at severe, meaning an attack is highly likely. It had been raised to critical after the Manchester attack, then lowered again days later.



Leave a comment

  Tip

  Tip

  Tip

  Tip

  Tip